Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Vista Arts Foundation Show

Poster for the show

There's my small painting - just to the right of the man, the white cross on the adobe wall. Not the best picture, but you get the idea.

I tried to enter one of the giant avocados but with the frame it was over the size limit so didn't even make it to the judging. The little one made it and was picked for the show which was exciting, especially since they had 298 entries and only picked 120 for the show.

This past weekend I got in some quality painting time and I'm happy to say that I have two new paintings coming along. I've been working on one for awhile but got to a point where I had to stop as I'd lost my way. Learning when to stop is a lesson I'm learning - having the ability to give it a rest and come back later with a fresh eye can be invaluable. Happily I finally realized what my next step should be and like what's taking shape so guess I'm on the right path. Isn't it strange that when you paint - or at least when I paint, I fall in and out of love with whatever I'm working on many times throughout the process of creation. Sometimes it's maddening, but it's also one of the joys of painting - the back and forth, up and down, doubt and awareness that an artist goes through while bringing some new piece of work into the world.

Also have two new ideas floating around inside my head. One has tentatively made it into my sketch book but needs more refinement before it's ready to go onto a canvas. It's always interesting when those pesky ideas make themselves known -popping into your mind out of nowhere - then all you have to do is find a way to make them flow from your brain down your arm to your pencil and into a sketchbook. Can't explain how it happens but I'm always happy when it does.

No comments: