Sunday, November 23, 2008

New Painting - In Progress

Thanks to everyone who visited my husband's blog and web site last week. He was thrilled to think that so many people were viewing his work. I want you to know how much I appreciate your support and the fact that you take a few minutes out of your busy schedule to visit and view my blog. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy your visits.

Here is the painting I'm currently working on - it's 30x48 - a landscape that's just beginning to pop out of the rose red underpainting. I love watching paintings come to life a step at a time, or I should say a work period at a time. This afternoon I blocked in the road, which makes up most of the lower half, and the sky, most of the top half. I love painting large but still have some issues about mixing big piles of paint. I try to be conservative when squeezing the paint out of the tubes, don't want to waste any. I REALLY need to get over that! But, now that I think about it, maybe that helps me not to get my colors too uniform as I'm constantly mixing more paint. :o)

You can also see my whole set up here - other than the fact that I have to pack everything up and roll it away when I'm done so I can get my car back in the garage, it's a pretty nice space. I have my order in to the Universe for a permanent, dedicated studio and I have faith it's on it's way to me, can't wait to see it. :o)

Palette question - your thoughts requested...

Here is the palette I currently use. It's 12"x16" - sealable, usually used with disposable palette paper but I got a piece of tempered glass made to size and I really like the glass surface. What are your thoughts on palette surfaces? Other than the fact that it's heavy so wouldn't be practical outside of the studio I like the way it feels when mixing paint and the clean up is a snap as long as you don't let it sit too long.

This is my newest piece of studio furniture and I LOVE it. These tool cabinets on heavy duty wheels are great. Picked this up at Lowe's and it was a lot less expensive than any taboret I've see at the art supply store or online.

The indented area where the sketch book is will soon have an insert of tempered glass and I'll use it for my new palette. The space is 12"x26" and will give me more room for mixing which is great as I tend to take up all the area I have. I'm very interested in ideas for palettes so be sure and leave a comment on what you like and use.

Thanks again for your visit and have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: