Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Back to Reality


Photo Taken by Chris Bundy
I'm lucky to have found northern New Mexico and in particular Taos - and I'm lucky to be able to travel back and forth - but it seems harder and harder to come back to earth after each visit. I don't know when or how this 3rd generation California girl fell in love with northern NM - but it happened and I feel like I'm missing the best part of me.

You might think I'm being dramatic - but I swear I'm not. Did you ever see the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind?" You know, the part where different people from all over the world keep drawing the same place and feel an overpowering urge to travel to that place? Well, that's how I feel about Taos - like I've been caught in the tractor beam. :o)

The picture above of the empty bench explains my current inner feelings. I'm in a good place but I feel strangely empty. I know I'll decompress and find the way back to my current reality but right now I'm in the strange limbo of feeling like a major part of me is a few hundred miles away.

After viewing the Georgia O'Keeffe/Ansel Adams show last week and seeing "Taos Pueblo," a painting by O'Keeffe which blew me away - I wanted to learn everything I could about this amazing woman. So I'm reading "Portrait of an Artist: Georgia O'Keeffe," by Laurie Lisle. What a great book, I can't put it down. Her paintings in particular give me great hope for my own creative endevors. Her work speaks to me and I'm beginning to realize how much my personal style is similar to hers. Can you tell I had a major breakthrough at that show? :o)

Ok, I know this blog is supposed to be about my art, but it is called Art AND Life, so please bear with me as these last few entries have been in the LIFE category. Having a full time day job and somewhat of a life - about the only time I get for painting is on the weekend - so until I get back out to the studio (aka garage) I don't have anything new to show and I'm afraid you'll have to put up with the ramblings of my mind. I like writing this stuff, clicking the send buttom and launching it into cyber space where who knows who might read it and find a kindred spirit.

I thank you for visiting my blog and spending a few minutes reading and sharing with me. I've put those fun trackers on because I get a lot of enjoyment seeing that people have been visiting and finding out where they are in the world. A friend asked me how people found my blog and to tell the truth I really don't know, but I'm glad you did. If you'd like to leave a comment I'd enjoy knowing how you surfed onto this blog. So, have a good week, I wish you peace, happiness, positive energy, and unlimited creativity.

1 comment:

Susan Carlin said...

Hi Chris,
I'm going to take an extra helping of that peace, happiness, positive energy and unlimited creativity that you wished us today.
I'm so glad you got some clarity about your art and yourself during your visit to Taos. Can't wait to see what art comes out of that clarity!