Thursday, June 12, 2008

This Week In My Mind

Pecos Ruins
Photo by Chris Bundy 09/08
Ok, second week back from northern New Mexico and the withdrawals are easing up. I know I'll eventually get to a stage where I'll be fully back in my mind and body but until that time I continue in my strange dream world. I'm trying to be funny here - one thing that's important to know about me is that I'm hardly ever too serious.

Last weekend I started on two new paintings and I plan to continue this weekend. I was a little under the weather early on this week and even though I have my stuff set up - haven't gotten back to the easel.

Do you know about the great web site for Daily Painters - http://www.dailypainters.com/? It was so exciting when I happened onto this site and found a group of people who were dedicated to at least trying to paint a small painting every day. I've been watching it for a little over a year now and it's amazing to see the progress that can be made from painting all the time.

Some of my favorite artists have broken off and created a group of their own, you can find them at http://www.dailypaintworks.com/. Be sure and check out Carol Marine and Karin Jurick. Also, Tom Brown - he paints with Winsor/Newton Artisan paints which are oil-based and water mixable. I like the idea of oil paint that can be thinned and cleaned up with water so I got some and have found that there is a learning curve. So far I think my problem is that I'm using too much water as I've found it difficult to get the thickness I want - sometimes things end up looking more like a watercolor - which isn't bad, but not what I'm trying to do. Anyway, I'll keep trying and I know I'll eventually come to terms with this medium.

As soon as my current paintings are somewhere beyond the block-in stage I'll post some pictures. I'll be painting a little this weekend but also will be visiting family as it's Father's Day weekend. Happy Father's Day to all of you out there, have a great weekend and keep painting or being creative in which ever way you choose.

3 comments:

Deb Kirkeeide said...

Chris, thanks for your visit to my blog and for your kind words. I'm glad "Rufus" caught your eye.
I was reading about your visit to Taos - I've been through there once and have always wanted to go back and spend more time. And I kow what you mean when you find yourself being drawn to an area and feeling like you just belong. I felt the same way when I headed west to the Wyoming mountains.

Unknown said...

Hi Deb - thanks for checking out my blog. I'm a big fan of northern New Mexico and I'd love to see Wyoming - only slightly over the border once, but it looked beautiful. I've subscribed to your blog and will check back at the end of the month (after payday) to see if Rufus is still available. I love that guy and I'm a cat person. :o) Is he your dog?

FCP said...

Hi Chris,
I enjoyed reading your posts about Taos--loved the pics too!
It is a very enchanting area,
Faye