Tuesday, May 27, 2008

On the Road in Northern New Mexico

View in Placitas, New Mexico

Another beautiful day in Cundiyo, NM

Restaurant on the Plaza in Ranchos de Taos, NM
All Photos Taken by Chris Bundy

Ok, these pictures don't have anything to do with my blog posting today, but as you read you'll see why I couldn't post any of those pictures. These are the next best thing, all shot today on various sites along our journey on the High Road to Taos - returning home from Santa Fe.

Today was one of those days that makes you thank the higher powers that you are alive. Mother Nature did an incredible job and Father Sky joined in. Clear beautiful ultramarine blue sky, sunny, 80 degrees. The colors of the high desert - rust/orange dirt fading to a light tan color; in some areas a light chrome green - with a wild variety of greens in the newly budding trees set against the stark blue of the sky is almost too much beauty for a human being to take in. Add in old adobes and shiny new and older rusted tin roofs - you've got scenery that can't be beat.

Our day started out with the one hour drive to Santa Fe - about 30 minutes of which parallel the Rio Grande river currently swollen with the run off of the heavy snows of the winter. We were on our way to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum to see the current exhibit, "Georgia O'Keefe and Ansel Adams: Natural Affinities." Am I the only one who didn't know these two super talents were friends for many years? Georgia painted many of the same scenes that Ansel photographed and seeing their work together was a unique treat - my compliments to the person who came up with the idea. I even saw a painting of Taos Pueblo by Georgia - done around 1917 - that I'd never seen before. It was truly breathtaking and in my humble opinion the best depiction of Taos Pueblo ever done. Since the Taos Pueblo is a favorite subject of many artists that's saying a lot.

Wish I could post some pictures of their work but I'm sure they are all under copyright and I sure don't want to get into any trouble - so I'll just give you a link to the museum. You can see some images and read about the show at the
Georgia O'Keeffe Museum web site.

Our enjoyment of the show was followed by a great lunch at Tia Sophia's - a Mexican/Spanish/New Mexican restaurant just a couple of blocks from the museum. Tia Sophia's is a local favorite - now I know why. If you find yourself in Santa Fe be sure and give it a try you won't be disappointed.

After lunch we headed back to Taos taking the High Road (am I repeating myself?) - the pictures shown in this post are from that part of the trip. (yes, now I'm sure I'm repeating myself) :o) All in all it was an incredible day ending now in this post, a Jack Daniels and 7-Up (or two) [is that the mystery behind the problem of repeating myself?] and the Lakers on TV. Hope you had a wonderful day too.

3 comments:

Susan Carlin said...

You do sound happy there, my friend. Thank you for the mental vacation.

Unknown said...

Hi Susan - I'm glad to hear that my happiness shows. :) Hope you are equally happy and having a good week.

Unknown said...

Hi Susan - I'm glad to hear that my happiness shows. :) Hope you are equally happy and having a good week.