Friday, May 9, 2008

"Happy Hour" by Timothy Horn


Happy Hour
16x20
oil on canvas

Hi and happy Friday! I hope you enjoy this Timothy Horn painting I'm posting tonight. I'm happy to say that it's the newest addition to my growing art collection.

This isn't your standard landscape composition. "Well Chris," you might ask, "why do you like this painting?" Hey, good question, I like it because I love old trucks and am drawn to this composition. I like the fact that it runs off the canvas on the right side. I like the perspective - the wide expanse of parking lot leading your eye to the main subjects in the back. I like the colors and I admire Tim's technique and painting skill. As Carol Marine would say, he paints in a way that is precise and loose at the same time. I enjoy the humor of the No Parking sign on the wall directly in front of a parked car - someone didn't follow the parking rules.

Tim told me this is the parking lot across the street from a small local tavern. Since the title is Happy Hour and there are only two cars shown in the lot, either it's very early or the tavern was having an off night. I like the story this painting tells. But then I'm a sucker for a good story, especially if it includes an old truck.

Thanks for visiting my blog - hope you have a great weekend!


1 comment:

Frank Gardner said...

I love Tim's stuff. Thanks for showing this one and adding a bit of his thoughts and yours on the piece.
Oh, the re post of that painting looks great. I knew it had better color than the other. I find that when I post a painting on blogger it looks a little more washed out than it did in photoshop. Who knows why. I boost the color a bit so it evens out on the blog. Each monitor is different I guess anyway.